Losing teeth may seem like a hopeless and dreary case. We think of all the complications that may come with losing teeth. All those food we will have difficulty eating, the picture-perfect smile we will not have, the speech problem we will encounter, and all the other unhappy things.
Worry not, there is a solution for people with this problem. Dentures!
What are dentures?
Dentures are artificial teeth replacements specifically formed to replace lost teeth in the mouth. They come in two options, partial or full. Dentures can either replace a few missing teeth or all teeth on the top or bottom gum line. The type of denture needed will vary from one person to another. Regardless of the type of denture, they will all be explicitly formed to match the pre-existing teeth and will be designed to fit the mouth.
Materials used to make dentures
The field of dentistry has come a long way. In the past, porcelain and plastic were used to make dentures. Modern dentures are mostly made out of hard resin. These materials are not that durable and may need replacing at around five years of continuous usage. Dentures are no match for natural teeth, they are more susceptible to being chipped or cracked if not cared for properly.
Taking care of dentures
Like regular teeth, dentures must be cared for daily. The materials used to make them may not be similar to natural teeth, but they can still be affected by bacteria. Tartar and plaque can build up on the dentures, harming the gums and surrounding teeth. Here are ways of taking care of them:
- Remove any food debris by rinsing the dentures properly.
- Be gentle when cleaning. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles to avoid scratching and damaging the dentures.
- Make sure to store your dentures in a clean container filled with water when not in use.
- When the dentures are out of the mouth, be sure to clean your gums, cheek, and tongue to avoid bacteria buildup.
- Remove the dentures before sleeping to give the gums some time to relax.
Bring back your confident smile! Book an appointment with us at All Smile Care and avail of our Dentures in Lowell, MA. Our dental office is located at 109 Middlesex St., Lowell, MA 01852.